Get a Guide / Order a Sightseeing Tour in Odessa:    +380678114493


browse around here

Odessa Sights

Assumption Cathedral

Description

This impressive building was erected from 1855 through 1869. The architect was L.Otton. The height of the belfry is 56 meters, and the temple can hold up to 5,000 people.

The church became a cathedral in 1932 as the previous cathedral had been torn down by the commies. However, this one was also closed down at the late 1930’s as well as other Odessa temples. During the Second World War its main dome and part of the building were destroyed by a Nazi bomb. The crypt was restored in 1942.

On a November night in 1943, to mark an anniversary of the Revolution, Odessa Resistance hoisted a red flag on the belfry which read: Death to Enemies! The Romanians were only able to remove it in the afternoon. There used to be a memorial board on the wall of the cathedral, it’s not clear if it’s still there now.


2013.

Location

Downtown.

Street Address

70 Preobrajenskaya Stree, 65045 Odessa, Ukraine.

Geographical Positions

E30°43'55" N46°28'31" (E30.731944° N46.475278°).

Map

Last Update

2013.06.13.

Site Map | Home | About | Services | Accommodation | Tours | FAQ | Tips | Clients | Links | Contact
Odessa | Sights | Dating | Genealogy
 © Igor Kalinin  2005-2017    +380678114493 www.odessaguide.net/sights_assumptioncathedral.en.html