Get a Guide / Order a Sightseeing Tour in Odessa:    +380678114493


Odessa Sights

Main Synagogue

Description

Odessa Main Synagogue is located on the corner of RIshelyevskaya and Yevreyskaya (Jewish) Streets. It was built in 1846-1850 (or 1850-1853 according to another source) by engineer M.Lyubenkov and architect F.Morandi. The facade and the interior of the imposing building are in the Florentine Roman style.

The first synagogue was built in this place in early 1820s.

After the 1917 revolution, in 1919, in line with the Religion Decree, all the property and documents of the community were taken over by the authorities. And in 1923, "by requests of working people", the synagogue was closed down. First, there was a zoology museum here, then a children musical theater, and after the Second World War it was turned into a gym of Odessa teachers training college. The prayer hall was turned into a basketball one, a second floor was built overhead, the choir balconies were walled up.

In 1996 the Main Synagogue of Odessa was returned to the Judaic community, and in September Rosh Hashana was marked in the prayer room. The building was completely rebuilt later. The community and patrons helped to restore the bimah, the mikvah was built. Hundreds of parishioners visit the synagogue nowadays.


2013.

Location

Downtown.

Street Address

25 Yevreyskaya Street, 65045 Odessa, Ukraine.

Geographical Positions

E30-44'22.6" N46-28'40.9" (E30.739611- N46.478028-).

Map

Last Update

2013.04.27.

Site Map | Home | About | Services | Accommodation | Tours | FAQ | Tips | Clients | Links | Contact
Odessa | Sights | Dating | Genealogy
 © Igor Kalinin  2005-2017    +380678114493 www.odessaguide.net/sights_mainsynagogue.en.html